Friday, August 6, 2010

Wisdom Man Banjo Clarke as told to Camilla Chance


A Review By Andrea R. Garrison – Online With Andrea

I have always wanted to learn more about the Aboriginal people of Australia and what better source then to read the story of the Wisdom Man Banjo Clarke - The compassionate life and beliefs of a remarkable Aboriginal Elder as told to Camilla Chance. Banjo Clarke met Camilla over 25 years ago despite the fact that it would seem unlikely that their paths would cross. She is from the family of exclusive English Aristocracy and Banjo was a humble Elder of the Aboriginal people. There are no accidents it seems because these two were destined to meet and they developed a friendship that lasted for over 25 years. I loved this book because it truly gave me a sense of Aboriginal life and culture because Banjo spoke honestly and directly from the heart. So I say if you are interested in learning and understanding the Aboriginals then read the words of Banjo Clarke. Now one might ask why an Aboriginal Elder would tell his story to Camilla. It is better to hear the response directly from Banjo Clarke who answers the question in his own words.

After Banjo was discharged from the hospital Camilla and her family took him in to care for him and he was quite touched by the experience.

Banjo said, “And she and her family looked after me. I thought. There must be a lot of good white people around, and we hardly met them before! Where did they come from? Grown-ups and children with open hearts.

Camilla’s little ones loved me being with them. Young David was just starting to walk, and he’d keep walking out of the door wanting me to follow him. He’d lead me straight to the woodpile, where I made a stool for him. I also made a tree house for him and Ruth. He liked doing things and helping me.

A lot of my friends came to see me while I was at Camilla’s, Aboriginals who had lived a heartbreaking life trying to cope in the white man’s world. Camilla invited them in and showed them her trust. She left the house open for them if she had to go out for the day.

All these events inspired me to want to write a book. I reckoned that the way the high-society people shared with me would tell something to the world about equality, and having love for people from different races. I reckon if people knew about true Aboriginal qualities – so similar to the Baha’i beliefs – then this would help the world do things from the heart. I think for people to learn about Aboriginality might even be the saving of the world.

I asked Camilla to help me write my book and she agreed. Twenty-five years later, we have been still working out every thing I want to say.”

Banjo Clarke said it best in this quote which appears on the back cover of the book, “Life should be looked upon as a sacred thing, to be handled carefully. If something terrible happens, you stop for a while and have a think, and then you work around the next big problem coming up. Like water around a rock. And you still help people when you can, even your worst enemy.”

As I indicated previously the beauty of this book is that when you read about Banjo Clarke you will be reading his words, his thoughts and connecting to his heart. You will have a greater understanding of the Aboriginal way which is to embrace all life.

To learn more about Camilla Chance and Wisdom Man Banjo Clarke visit www.wisdommanbook.com and listen to the Online With Andrea interview with Author Camilla Chance.


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home